Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Counting down the days

41 more days together until I go back to the Netherlands and Michael stays in the States.

The reason he can't go back to my country is because he has stayed here too long. You are allowed, as an American citizen to spend 3 months in the Schengen countries (which consists of pretty much 4/5 of Europe), and the Netherlands is one of them. Then they require you to leave, and to be away from the Schengen countries for a minimum of 3 months before you are allowed back in.

Now Michael has been here for quite a while. I'm afraid that when he leaves, they will see he overstayed his welcome and either fine him, ban him or both. Often, when you are a respectable looking American or Canadian they overlook it, but then you never know do you? I'm simply assuming the worst case scenario of the maximum ban (7 years) and not expect him to visit my home country for quite a while.
But there is always the chance there is no problem whatsoever, and I sincerely hope that is the case. It won't change our plans, but at least we would have the freedom to see both our families whenever we wish.

I just try not to think about it for now. When the time comes that we go through customs, let's just hope luck is on our side.



No comments:

Post a Comment