Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring finally caught up with April

Although you wouldn't think so, but here in Europe it is actually spring. The last few weeks have been literally freezing but today was the day we got greeted by Spring. I was having lunch with a friend in a cute little lunch room we've been dying to try out for months. We sat outside in front of the cafĂ© in full sunlight. The air was cold and crisp, but the sun was warm and welcoming. It was glorious, marvellous. After a while we took off our jackets and almost our sweaters. We ordered scones, apple pie and chocolate cake with banana and cream. A nice big pot of tea completed the picture. Sitting there for a good two hours, watching the people, chatting away. 
Swag, a cute  lunch room
That's how I see the Netherlands. Those little quaint places, sitting in the rare but warming sun, watching the people shop, having a coffee and loiter about. Having a delicious bite of a scone with clotted cream and jam, studying the old architecture around you and watching the pigeons chasing crumbs. Good conversation with your friend, sipping tea and gossiping about people you don't know passing by.

This is what I missed in Canada when I studied there for a semester. This is what I missed when I was in the States. It's different on the other side of the Atlantic ocean. They don't have the history that Europe does, they have a culture unlike ours and everything is so freaking BIG. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The upside of not having centuries of history is that they made the country completely their own. They have shaped it exactly like they wanted to and could spread out, instead of having to cram 10 houses in 1 square meter. Then there is the american dream, which defines the country. It binds people together and makes them what they are. I can respect that.

While I was enjoying the sun and thinking this, I realised that my biggest challenge in moving to the States will be accepting that I am in an entire different country, a different continent. I have all these ideas and expectations of how a country should be, how life should be. But that will just hold me back. If I try to recreate in the States what I have here, I'll never be happy. Only if I fully integrate myself in the american culture and lifestyle do I think that I can make myself a true home in the USA.

That sure as life is going to be difficult. I'm positive that it will take time, but now that I'm aware of one of the obstacles in my way of moving both physically and mentally to the States, I feel like I'm already getting closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment